Filing Your Taxes Online is Fast, Easy and Secure.
Start now and receive your tax refund in as little as 7 days.

1. Get Answers

Your online questions are customized to your unique tax situation.

2. Maximize your Refund

Find tax credits for everything from school tuition to buying a hybri

3. E-File for FREE

E-file free with direct deposit to get your refund in as few as 7 days.

Filing your taxes with paper mail can be difficult and it could take weeks for your refund to arrive. IRS e-file is easy, fast and secure. There is no paperwork going to the IRS so tax refunds can be processed in as little as 7 days with direct deposit. As you prepare your taxes online, you can see your tax refund in real time.

FREE audit support and representation from an enrolled agent – NEW and only from H&R Block

Tax Form 1040x Instructions

Income Tax ReturnFederal Tax Return 1040ezHow To File Amended Tax Return For 2012Tax Form 1040 EzFile An AmendmentDoes A Full Time Student Have To File TaxesFree 1040ez FormTax DeductionsFree H R Block 2011I Need To File My 2006 Taxes For Free2012 Tax Form2013 1040ezState Tax Form 2014I Forgot To File My 2012 TaxesFree Tax ReturnFiling An Amendment To TaxesFile State ReturnTax Act Amended ReturnHow To Do Back TaxesH&r Block Free Tax For MilitaryWww Irs Gov Form 1040xHow To File Taxes Self EmployedFiling A 1040x Online1040 FormFree 2012 State Tax FilingTaxes Late1040x FilingHow To Fill Out 1040x Line By LineIrsFile 2014 Taxes1040 Ez 2011Filing My 2012 TaxesHr Block Free FileWhere Can I File 2012 TaxesAarp Org TaxaideFree Tax Filing Online State And FederalFiling A 1040 EzTax AmendmentIrs Gov 2010 Tax Forms1040ez Tax Forms

Tax Form 1040x Instructions

Tax form 1040x instructions Publication 80 - Additional Material Prev  Up  Next   Home   More Online Publications
Print - Click this link to Print this page

Understanding Your CP53B Notice

We tried to direct deposit your refund, but the financial institution couldn’t process it. We are researching your account, but it will take 8 to 10 weeks to complete our review and verify this refund.

What you need to do

  • You don’t need to do anything at this time.

You may want to

  • Call us at the toll-free number on the notice if you don’t receive your refund check or a follow-up letter within 10 weeks
  • Monitor your financial accounts

If you notice any suspicious or unusual activity, you should:

  • Notify your financial institutions
  • Contact the fraud department of one of the three major credit bureaus
  • Report any fraudulent activity to your local police or sheriff's department
  • File a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission
  • Submit a Form 14039, Identity Theft Affidavit

Answers to Common Questions

Q. What should I do if I didn’t file a return?

A. Submit a Form 14039, Identity Theft Affidavit, to the IRS address in the Form 14039 instructions.

Q. Can I direct part of my refund into my tax professional’s checking or savings account to pay my tax preparation fee?

A. No. You can direct your refund to any of your checking or savings accounts. You can’t direct your refund to someone else’s account (except for your spouse’s account when you have a joint refund).

Q. Why will it take up to 10 weeks to receive my refund?

A. We must research your account to determine if you are entitled to the refund. We try to balance customer service and tax compliance when we review tax returns.  Refund timeframes are also affected by:

  • Bankruptcy
  • An open audit
  • A balance due on a related account (such as a different tax year)

Q. Will calling the IRS give me additional information or speed my refund?

A. No, calling us won’t speed up your refund. You don’t need to call us unless we send you a letter that asks you to contact us. Our telephone assistors won’t be able to provide any additional information.

Tips for next year

If you request a direct deposit refund, be sure the account you specify is in your name (or your spouse’s if you have a joint refund).

If you changed your name as a result of a recent marriage or divorce, be sure the name on your tax return matches the name registered with the Social Security Administration.

Never direct your refund to an account that belongs to a relative, friend, or tax return preparer.


Page Last Reviewed or Updated: 21-Jan-2014

Printable samples of this notice (PDF)



How to get help

  • Call the 1-800 number listed on the top right corner of your notice.
  • Authorize someone (e.g., accountant) to contact the IRS on your behalf using Form 2848.
  • See if you qualify for help from a Low Income Taxpayer Clinic.

The Tax Form 1040x Instructions

Tax form 1040x instructions Index A Assistance (see Tax help) F Free tax services, How To Get Tax Help H Help (see Tax help) M More information (see Tax help) P Publications (see Tax help) T Tax help, How To Get Tax Help Taxpayer Advocate, Contacting your Taxpayer Advocate. Tax form 1040x instructions TTY/TDD information, How To Get Tax Help Prev  Up     Home   More Online Publications